Sunday 23 March 2014

Book of the month

The book I've been loving this month is a bit different to what I'd normally read, but my mum bought it and thought I'd enjoy it. 
The book I'm talking about is The Fishing Fleet: Husband Hunting in the Raj by Anne De Courcy. It's £5.59 from Amazon. 






It's tells the story of thousands of women, who from the late 17th century flocked to India in the hope of finding a husband. Many of them were very brave, surviving awful conditions with poor equipment and little scientific understanding, making diseases kill thousands of innocent victims. Amongst all the sadness however, there are stories of love that kept couples together against the odds.
I had no idea that this remarkable event even happened, and found it amazing that it kept going for so long.
The book is factual but contains the stories of lots of women and has photographs of many of them, which I found really interesting. 





I would definitely recommend this to those of you who have an interest in History, or otherwise!

Helen x   

No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC