Friday 29 August 2014

Books of the month






I recently picked up a few books for just a pound each at a charity book shop, and started reading them straight away, despite the fact I was meant to be reading Jane Eyre in preperation for next year. 
My first Book of the Month is The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. This book follows Georgia who runs a knitting shop in New York and daughter and friends. A knitting club gradually forms, and so draws all different types of people together. Their stories are cleverly interwoven as they become closer. The ending is not a typical 'happily ever after' as I expected, but many of the characters stories are nicely tied up in a fairly un-imaginative way. I enjoyed this, in a nice, easy, comforting way but will not necessarily be re-reading it. 


                                


My next book is Handle with Care by Jodi Piccoult. Jodi Piccoult's books are, I think, very similar to the well loved James Bond books. They are fairly predictable, hugely popular and almost impossible to put down. They all follow a similar pattern-the introduction of the characters; the development of whatever 'issue' this particular book is about; and then a large proportion of the book spent on the court case. Handle With Care is no different, but I liked it nonetheless. Piccoult's books may be something of a blockbuster but they are all very well written, heart wrenching and with well developed characters. What I like most about them is the often controversial issues which they explore, and so get the reader to think more about. 

Helen x

No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC