Sunday 1 March 2015

Books Of The Month



This month I've been enjoying reading an old favourite The Careful use of Compliments by Alexander McCall Smith, the fourth book in the Sunday Philosophy Club series. I love McCall Smith's writing; its so thoughtful and funny, and extremely life like. You can imagine bumping into his characters on the street and a conversation occurring like those in the book. They feel like friends and so its a comforting read, great to snuggle up with. The series is centred around Isobel Dalhousie, a philosopher and her partner and young son. Its set in Edinburgh, a city I've always loved and these books make me love it even more.  You can buy it here.

Another book I couldn't put down is The Secret History by Donna Tart, which you can get here. Its the first Donna Tart book I've read but I'll be reading more now. The book is about a group of American College students, who become friends (though its a rather dysfunctional friendship) but it all starts to unravel and ends in them killing one of their friends (that's not a huge spoiler, don't worry-it tells you in the first sentence). Its very gripping, with so many twists and turns to keep you reading. Having said that, its very focused on Ancient Greek philosophy which is probably fascinating if that's your thing, but its not mine and I found myself getting a bit bored by it. Like yeah, we've got that point, now move on. Although the intricacies of the philosophy side was probably lost on me, I did find the general moral idea of the book interesting-we are almost persuaded to empathise with the murderers.
Another criticism: I didn't like any of the main characters. I don't really think you're meant to, but it often makes a book easier to read if you actually care about the people in it. In fact, I just found them all increasingly irritating. However, that didn't stop me reading it, as I wanted to find out whether they managed to find their brains and common sense and actually manage to get themselves out of the situations they found themselves in (they did-by killing him). That all sounds quite negative, but I did enjoy it and would recommend it-just prepare to be irritated by fictional characters.

Helen x

No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC