Thursday 24 July 2014

Books of the Month

I've been reading more this month as I have finished school, so have lots of time to do absolutely nothing. 

One of my books this month is by the same author as my April books of the month. I just love Kate Atkinson's books! Luckily she's written quite a few, so I still have lots to work my way through. 
This month I've been loving Human Croquet by Kate Atkinson, available from £6 on Amazon. I actually bought it for my sister, but stole it from her as soon as she finished reading it. 

Atkinson's style of writing is just so unique: the way she weaves tales around each other and goes from past to present and back again without confusing you is amazing. 
Human Croquet is partly a fairytale, partly a mystery, but also about Isobel Fairfaxe, the narrator, as she discovers who she is. The village of Lythe, where Isobel lives, was once set in the heart of a mysterious forest, home to dark secrets, Shakespeare, and runaway brides. A descendent of these forest people, Isobel often gets stuck in time warps, and spends the rest of the time with her mad family; a brother obsessed with finding their missing mother, a war hero turned shopkeeper father, a step-mother who longs for a baby and turns increasingly neurotic and a grumpy aunt hiding a secret. She seeks refuge from her family in her friend Audrey's home, but that too, is not altogether normal. This book contains less of the humour normally found in Kate Atkinson novels, and is a lot darker, and made me cry quite a lot, but I loved it nonetheless. 

I definitely recommend Kate Atkinson as an author!

Helen x

No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC